Friday, February 22, 2008

Contemplating moving to Wordpress

I haven't decided one way or the other yet, but part of me is thinking that the Lair possibly needs to evolve a little beyond what I currently have available with Blogger.

I'm not knocking Blogger at all; a free blog with a gig of storage is nothing to sneeze at; it's a good service and I've been grateful for it.

However, the problem is that it's a little Spartan. For comments and Trackback I've had to slot in support from Haloscan, and for traffic analysis I've had to rely on Feedburner which has apparently been having some problems recently. If people think of the net as a body of water, I find myself thinking of this blog currently as the equivalent of a raft made of a couple of logs lashed together with some rope. Very Survivalist, I'm sure, but I think it's time to upgrade to an actual boat.

The single main thing about Wordpress that caught my eye is their traffic analysis capabilities. Being the shameless narcissist that I am, I like keeping track of how many people are visiting the blog.

I've also considered full blown hosting, but to be honest the main thing that would mean is that I'd be paying more money than I'm comfortable with for services that I don't really need anyway. I had found myself thinking that if I did get hosting I could install a wiki, and go back and rewrite the early material I have here on starting with Survival, with proper wikification and links and such, as well as possibly doing a clone of a few of the Hunter specific pages on WowWiki, with my own customisations. I do write on WowWiki, but the problem with that is that I'm forced to abide by Baggins' and Ragestorm's biases and prejudices rather than being able to fully and freely express my own. ;-) (They of course insist that they're being neutral; Ha!)

What do you guys think? Wordpress, or should I just say the hell with it and go for the whole enchilada?

No comments: